Disclaimer

This blog is intended for educational purposes only. None of these posts are meant to give legal or financial advice. If you need advice you should consult an appropriate professional.

This site uses cookies from Google to deliver its services and analyze traffic. Your IP address and user-agent are shared with Google along with performance and security metrics to ensure quality of service, generate usage statistics, and to detect and address abuse.

Friday, December 7, 2012

car-lite living

America is in love with cars!  And the rest of the world is trying to catch up.  I don't see this as a good thing.  Cars are expensive!  I think it's one of the main reasons people can't get ahead financially.  I live a car-lite lifestyle.  If I don't have to drive I don't drive.  I walk and take the bus if I can.  A lot of people just think of gas as the main expense of owning a car.  Oh but it's much more than that.  How about maintenance, repairs, tickets, accidents, insurance, auto club, parking, just to name some big ones.  I understand that it's hard to survive without a car.  It seems the only place this is doable in the US is in the northeast which is very expensive to live overall.  I really would like to go car-free.  But there are times when the bus in my city is just not that efficient, so I keep the car for those times.  Personally I don't like driving.  I find it to be stressful.  You never know what those crazies are going to do on the road once you get out there.  There are a lot of lawsuits and settlements when it comes to driving too.  I wish we had better local, regional, and national public transportation than we do.  I do the best I can though.  If I can keep the miles off my older car I will.  Much of it is just a mindset though.  That's the part that's maybe the hardest to change.  I tell people I take the bus when I have a car, and they look at my like I have two heads.  There's also a stigma of not having a car which is totally stupid.  I wish the stigma was reversed.  I'm doing my best to minimize transportation expenses and ease the busyness of our roads.    

No comments:

Post a Comment